Sony XDCAM-EX

Discuss everything related to stock video and After Effects projects on RevoStock!
postquis design

Postby postquis design » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:05 pm

Well,

We are nearing the projected time for the XDCAM-EX's arrival here in the states. I see Apple has released Final Cut update 6.0.2. It includes support on the Apple side but seems to require some additonal plug-in from Sony.

Ok Sony.... time to ante UP! :D

waiting anxiously to see this one :shock:

postquis design

Postby postquis design » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:03 am

Looks like these are arriving in the States now....

Seems like there are some reports of subtle vignetting on some of the lenses. Has anyone seen this in person ?

Z-Man

vignette problem

Postby Z-Man » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:47 am

DV info has a long discussion on that topic as well as muchos info on the XDCAM-EX.

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=108433

I think it's best to wait for the dust to settle on this one.
z

Z-Man

Postby Z-Man » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:44 pm

Some really nice footage taken with the xdcam-ex here,

http://web.mac.com/philip.bloom/Philip_ ... treme.html

and a quote by the videographer on his blog:

...Initially I was going to shoot loads on non letus stuff but once I had it on I didn’t want to take it off. All I can say is the camera shoot cracking pictures with or without the Letus that blow the HVX 200 clean out of the water!

aloha,
Zman

postquis design

Postby postquis design » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:00 pm

Z-man,

Thanks for that link....I also saw that linked over at DVXUser yesterday and found his comments interesting. There seems to be an issue of some vignetting at full wide on the lens that some have experienced with initial shipments. I also read Adam Wilt's review of a pre-production model which he notes he saw this, brought it to Sony's attention, and they knew the camera needed to have an adjustment in its focusing system. It appears that from the talk around the net from the early adopters that at least some have sneaked through QC with what seems like similar issues.

I have to say that Bloom's Letus material looks sweet !

Thanks again.... just anxiously awaiting what Sony has to say on this initial issue.

Z-Man

Postby Z-Man » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:17 pm

You're welcome Ron!
z

postquis design

Postby postquis design » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:57 am

Z-Man... Steve Griffiths,

Have either of you used any of the the smaller format cameras with 35mm adaptors ? if so, which and with what lenses ?

I have watched the evolution of the 35mm adaptor market and I gotta say after seeing some of the footage coming off of the EX with the Letus Extreme I am seriously considering this set-up.

Z-Man

Postby Z-Man » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:09 pm

I haven't Ron,
Maybe Steve or Marco has.
Best,
z-man

p.s. think the biggest problem with this camera right now is trying to get ahold of one. 8)

postquis design

Postby postquis design » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:05 pm

Z-Man wrote:p.s. think the biggest problem with this camera right now is trying to get ahold of one. 8)

Z-Man,...

and just in case one is sitting on the fence waiting to buy something in this format..... along comes Panny with a new promotion which INCLUDES in the box a free 16GB P2 card with every HVX. This just announced and makes the HVX now more price attractive.

Lack of supply in the marketplace is an interesting benefit for some :)

Murphymedia

Postby Murphymedia » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:13 pm

WHUUUT!??! Show me a link.. Been trying to find a 16GB card everywhere, but everyone says that they can't deliver until January/February.. You know any places (that also ship to Europe) ??

Thanks,

Kerry

postquis design

Postby postquis design » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:20 pm

Kerry,

I suspect the shortage that has been out there was due to the bundling of P2 with the HPX-500 intro packages, which I understand have now come off. Additionally with Panny having authorized resellers opening HVX boxes and putting in the 16GB card for this new promotion I suspect supply stays short for individual P2 sales.

I read this stuff today over on DVXUser on the new HVX promotion. But you already have your cam.

postquis design

Postby postquis design » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:45 pm

Hey Kerry,

As a follow up to the previous post....I believe that new promotion has only been announced here in the States.

Just wanted to let you know that.... however it may be pulling supply in the short term off the retail market for P2 individual cards.

Murphymedia

Postby Murphymedia » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:50 pm

Yeh I'm really dying to get a new P2 card. Other option for me I guess would be the Firestore.. Really annoying that they make it so difficult for people like me to get extra higher capacity P2 cards.. Maybe I'll just sell my camera, come to The States and buy a new one with a 16GB card.. I'll probably end up making money (if they don't catch me at customs) that way since US Dollar is really low against the Euro right now.. but anyways how's the EX1 doing?? :)

postquis design

Postby postquis design » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:01 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't be doing anything wrong NOW !!!! :shock:

But hey,.... the EX is in even shorter supply it appears. But from those who have it they are reporting vignetting on the short side of the lens at wider aperature. We'll have to wait and see what Sony says about it and when supply comes back.

I was holding off on an HD camera waiting to see this puppy but this new Panny promo has me thinking about it again. Ya know, everything has trade-offs here and there. I know you were interested in 35mm adapters, you might want to check out Letus..... they have some new stuff out.

If I hear of supply changing anywhere I will send you a PM...

good shooting :)

Murphymedia

Postby Murphymedia » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:10 pm

Yeh I already looked at the Letus. I just don't see how that compares to the Redrock M2 or the P+S.. It's cheaper that's for sure, but I didn't see anywhere how it attaches to the HVX-20o, the size of it and how it supports itself to the camera/tripod and I don't see where the rods go. I think their website doesn't give enough info. At least when I checked last. I'm leaning towards the P+S Technik one right now. It's 1700 Euros, but it comes with an 'intermediate lens' I think it's a 28-55mm or something like that. The good thing about P+S is that it comes with a ton of accessories and I always trust Germans for their craftsmanship (is that a word?).. Just look at Rudi and his dolly systems :P ..

Anyways shame on the EX1 for having trouble already.. I'm just not a fan of Sony (when it comes to cameras) or the XDCAM format, although I'm sure the footage and camera are great. A friend of mine is saving up for it right now, so will be interesting to compare it with my HVX-200..

PreviousNext

Return to Video and After Effects