Forgot your password?

Forgot your Email?

or Create a FREE Account!

Click To Show Advanced Search Options

Sony XDCAM-EX

Discuss everything related to stock video and After Effects projects on RevoStock!
postquis design

Postby postquis design » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:00 pm

Digital Spatula wrote:Hi Ron
Camera has been better than expected. The inage quality is unmatched at the that price. Low-light capability is best of all under-10k cameras. The tapeless workflow is so easy. Much faster than the P2 cards.

Saw some of the "rolling shutter" issues during flash photography but that's not really anything I have to deal with. Besides, the Red camera has the same CMOS issues.

Overall it's been the best gear purchase I've ever made.

Steve,

Great to hear you are really liking it. You have some nice new material on here so I suspect it is all shot with the EX.

Can you elaborate on the "faster than P2" workflow? I imagine you are talking about ingest.

I am debating between the EX or stepping up to an HPX-500 and adding a quality piece of used SD glass instead of the lower end HD lenses they offer in their packages.

postquis design

Postby postquis design » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:03 pm

Hey Steve,

Sorry about that last question. I see you already elaborated on that in the past posts of this thread.

But how do you find the ergonomics for hand-held stuff if you do any?

Ron

Digital Spatula

Postby Digital Spatula » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:07 pm

Fine for short stuff but would not be very good for long days of handheld. It's slightly off balance with the handle way out there but the adjustable nature of the handle helps for odd angled stuff (high and low).
Thanks,
Steve

Steve T, Digital Spatula

Check out our Revo footage at:
http://www.revostock.com/ViewProfile.html?&ID=622

postquis design

Postby postquis design » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:57 pm

Steve,

I had the chance to hold one for a while and mimic shooting with it (it was a client's demo) while they waited for their order to arrive. I found it EXTREMELY front heavy. That thing is ALL glass!!!! But for stock stuff and sit down interviews on sticks not an issue.

Here's a question I have had about it's internal response time. IF you are viewing clips within the camera, and then want to crash into record quickly, can you instantly get to fresh memory and be up to speed ?

I have read it takes some time to "cycle" between playback mode and record. Any insights?

thanks

Ron

Digital Spatula

Postby Digital Spatula » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:03 pm

I would say it takes about 3-4 seconds to switch to camera mode. You can crash record while "reviewing last clip" in camera mode but when in the card mode you can't.
Thanks,
Steve

Steve T, Digital Spatula

postquis design

Postby postquis design » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:09 pm

Steve,

thanks...good to know about last clip.

Here's a scenario I have heard about.....

You start to cycle INTO card mode (which I hear takes a bit) .... while waiting for the cycle into card mode you want to crash record...

How long Steve....?

thanks

postquis design

Postby postquis design » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:01 pm

Hey Steve,

Sorry if my question seems redundant to your prior answer. I am just trying to clarify what one of the "Big Guys" over on DVXUser was saying about the EX going through a "cycle" and that once it starts it has to finsih before you can send another command to the camera.

Just trying to see what that scenario is...For your needs maybe not an issue, but I am looking at some documentary work and the run and gun issues still apply here :cry:

Nonetheless, thank you for your insight! .... best of luck with it!

Good shooting!

Ron

Sebastian H. Pituscan

Postby Sebastian H. Pituscan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:54 am

In some specific applications you might need to only review clips in camera mode. Not that big of a draw back, I'm sure. You can not compare that to tape, anyway.

postquis design

Postby postquis design » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:20 pm

Sebastian,

Are you aware of a scenario where the EX has to "cycle up"? Is it from a cold power on? or getting into camera mode from any other mode?

I anxiously look forward to a tapeless workflow!

Digital Spatula

Postby Digital Spatula » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:38 pm

After checking it out, the EX does require cycle time between card and camera mode and also on startup. It takes a few seconds where the user can do nothing. It's not bad and it's certainly easier than the HVX200.

Especially when you are hooking the camera up to your computer via USB. The only the camera needs is a verification by the user to go into USB mode. It's much easier and faster than the HVX200.
Thanks,
Steve

Steve T, Digital Spatula

postquis design

Postby postquis design » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:50 pm

Thanks for checking that out Steve...

that confirms what I had read on it.

postquis design

Postby postquis design » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:41 pm

Gotta bump this thread....

Steve,

are you aware of the testing among EX1 and EX3 owners that has been going on the past few months regarding using third party card readers and off the shelf secure digital flash memory?

A lot out there on the net have found using a particular Kensington card reader and certain memory that they got acceptable performance at a much cheaper price than SxS. Kensington stopped making the specific card for some reason. Users then found a Delkin card that worked but they changed the manufacturing specs..... but now hearing the demand out there may resume the original spec model.

Not to ramble any more about if you are aware.... just thought I'd throw that out there for other EX users who might be interested too.

one caveat.... overcranking is restricted somewhat...

Digital Spatula

Postby Digital Spatula » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:45 pm

Hey Ron
Thanks for the bump and recommendation.

I've actually been using an SD card for about a month. Great to have cheaper memory.

The camera has been performing flawlessly but I have not had much time to shoot stock. That will change over the next month as my work load has really fallen off. I guess that's a good sign for me to be cranking on stock stuff.
Thanks,
Steve

Steve T, Digital Spatula

postquis design

Postby postquis design » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:54 pm

Steve,

Good to hear about the camera's clean record :)

Were you able to get a Kensington before they stopped making them? or a Delkin?

Have you been overcranking with it and how many fps relative to the format you are shooting?

Digital Spatula

Postby Digital Spatula » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:59 pm

Got the Kensington with an Ultra II SD card. Haven't tried overcranking yet but I heard that it's limited in respect. I've shot 1080 30p no problem though.
Thanks,
Steve

Steve T, Digital Spatula

PreviousNext

Return to Video and After Effects