Original Filenames

Is there a feature you would like to see on RevoStock.com? Let us know!
ODesigns

Original Filenames

Postby ODesigns » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:08 am

Is there any way to see the original filename of a submitted clip? If not, don't you think that'd be a helpful addition to the MY UPLOADS section?
James Orlowski
Pittsburgh, PA

DEMO REEL: http://www.orlowskidesigns.com

RevoStock1
RevoStaff

Re: Original Filenames

Postby RevoStock1 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:49 am

Hi James. Can you give some more info on why you would need this particular feature? Currently we aren't storing this information.

Thanks!

Craig

ODesigns

Postby ODesigns » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:57 am

I don't know about others, by as my library grows, if I ever wanted to revisit a clip (perhaps to tweak, or grab elements from for a newer clip, etc.), it's becoming increasingly more difficult to find older clips.

That's why I started to add numbers to the end of my titles, so I can easily refer back to the "master" clip and assets in my local library. I have a chronological number system for my filenames. I don't label my original clips like, "guy on beach.mov" or the like. All my clips are given a unique number, so I'm guaranteed not to have duplicate names. And it keeps my local library in a nice, chronological order.

Also, it'd be helpful in the submission form if the original filename was at the top of the page. I realize it's in the "title" field until you change it, but having it up top would be helpful sometimes, too, since I copy-and-paste the META data from an external document. If I get distracted during the submission, I sometimes forget what clip I'm adding the keywords too...especially if a few clips in a sequence are similar in nature.

Some sites keep the original filenames (and that's helpful), others totally disregard them (which can be problematic).

Thoughts by others producers?
James Orlowski
Pittsburgh, PA

DEMO REEL: http://www.orlowskidesigns.com

dnavarrojr

Postby dnavarrojr » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:19 pm

It's very useful information when you keep a local database on tracking how your clips are doing.

Mark Fogarty
RevoModerator

Postby Mark Fogarty » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:31 am

To be honest I'm not sure why Revostock would want/need to keep a track of original file names. The reasons you give (helps keep your personal library organized, and helps reduce the potential for data entry errors while uploading) seems like the responsibility of the producer and not Revostock.

I would think keeping a database of your files (which is sounds like you do) would be sufficient for both your concerns. You can set the software to warn you of duplicate names... you can quickly search for themes and words to find previous work... you can assign the file your unique name as well as the sales name... you can sort your files however you see fit allowing you to keep your files in a chronological order.

Just my thoughts on it.

Mark

Return to Site Suggestions